The 2020 Oakland County Climate, Jobs, and Justice Platform is a framework that includes five pillars for our future: climate justice, transit/transportation, clean water, energy justice, and democratic access. It has been endorsed or supported by the League of Conservation Voters, Clean Water Action, Michigan Interfaith Power and Light, the NAACP, Sierra Club, Michigan Coalition for Human Rights, Southeast Michigan Jobs with Justice, and more.
To: Dave Coulter, Oakland County Executive, and all Oakland County Commissioners:
I am an Oakland County resident concerned about the future of our environment. We want immediate steps to move towards a clean, renewable future.
The undersigned Oakland County residents support enacting the 2020 Oakland County Climate, Jobs and Justice Platform:
• Commit the county to end greenhouse gas emissions by county operations by 2030, end greenhouse gas pollution county-wide by 2050, and protect vulnerable communities from the effects of already-occurring climate change.
• Create good jobs through investment in clean energy.
• Eliminate lead contamination in drinking water, protecting the most vulnerable. Take action to stop water pollution.
• Modernize and enhance bus transit, and make the Woodward Avenue corridor friendly to low-carbon transit.
• Press utilities to invest in low-income communities and fund energy efficiency.
• Support action to preserve and extend democratic engagement.